Sunday, May 19, 2013

Slowing down with the end in sight!


Hi Guys,
             Quite apart form the discomfort of rolling around like marbles all day, the wind has started to die down, and the gribs show that this trend is likely to continue! We managed 134miles on day 17, leaving us 460 to go. We are only doing about 5 knots, sailing directly down wind with our remaining mainsail to port( 3rd reef), and a matching poled out genoa on the other side. The sea state is causing most of the rolling, and the slow speed makes it seem even worse. as we feel like we are rolling left and right at about 100mph, and not moving forward at all! When the wind drops to below 15, perhaps the sea will moderate, and it will be worth flying "Jocko" and gybing back and forth instead of enduring this blooming death roll any more!
I have got a quote from Quantum for a new mainsail, and are waiting for Cheryl to come up with a quote for the freight to Papeete. I appears that I could use the old batterns in the new sail, but I feel sure that there must be an improved battern into back of slide car system, without having to change the whole track to a Harken batcar system as well. If so , thats what I want, and if they need special new batterns, then so be it. I have just written  to this effect, to Tony Strutt, at Quantum, who is dealing with my order. It appears that Craig must be in the Med cruising again! I will see what he comes up with!!
          Thats as much as I can type in these conditions!! So cheers for now! love and regards to all,                                                                                                                                                               Us 

No comments:

Post a Comment